The Clarion Building 286 Princess St.

The Clarion Building 286 Princess St.

About these buildings

The Bing Harris Co. and the Clarion buildings were been completely renovated and earthquake strengthened about eight years. The two buildings are now connected, sharing a common stairwell and lift.

The Bing, Harris & Co. Building was built by house the general merchants and importing firm that Mr Bing and Mr Harris established in Dunedin in 1852. In addition to importing goods they established factories in Dunedin making shirts, clothing, boots, hosiery etc. Their large three story head office on High Street was built in stages as the firm expanded. The first stage, in 1863, was the first brick building in Dunedin and was followed by further expansion in 1868, 1875 and 1880.  Bing, Harris & Co. only closed down in 2015 but it had long ago vacated its High Street residence.

The Clarion Building was designed by William  Mason and constructed in 1878. It was originally home to the retail drapers Kirkpatrick and Glendining, and subsequently to the hardware merchants Paterson and Barr. 

 Clarion Building on Princes St

Clarion Building on Princes St

 First Bing, Harris, & Co building on High St

First Bing, Harris, & Co building on High St



Office spaces for rent


CLARION LevelS 2

 Elegant sunny area and exposed brick. Best value office space in Dunedin.